View all categories

How to buy or sell securities in minor accounts?

Unlike regular Zerodha account holders, a minor cannot buy shares and government securities. They must be transferred to the minor account. They can be transferred using Zerodha’s gift feature or through CDSL easiest. Gifting is an easier process compared to regular transfer. To learn more about gifting, see How to gift securities? To learn more about CDSL easiest, see How to transfer shares from the Zerodha account to other CDSL demat account using CDSL Easiest?

Minors with Kite access can place equity sell orders, buy mutual funds and apply for IPOs, buybacks, and takeovers. Those without Kite access need to enable it to place orders.  To learn how to enable Kite access, see How to enable Kite login access for a minor account?

Minors cannot place orders for government securities, pledge shares, activate segments, or provide the commodity declaration.