How to freeze or unfreeze the stocks in the demat account?
You can freeze the securities in your demat account to ensure that you cannot sell them for a given period of time or until you instruct us to unfreeze the securities. Follow the below steps to send us freeze or unfreeze instructions:
- Fill up, physically sign & scan the freeze/unfreeze request form
- E-sign the scanned form and submit it by creating a ticket below. (Click here for a walkthrough of the process to e-sign documents.)
If you are unable to e-sign the form since your Aadhaar is not linked to your mobile number, you can send the physically signed form to our head office address .
Instructions to fill freeze/unfreeze request form
- Fill up the red-boxed spaces and ignore the ones crossed out below:
- a. Fill in the date of sending the instruction
- b. Select Freeze/Unfreeze
- c. Select BO ISIN if you want to freeze one or a few securities.
- d. Fill in your DP ID & Client ID which you can find on Console .
- e. Fill in your name & the name of joint holders of your Zerodha demat account.
- In the second part of the form, you will have to enter the details of the securities, the freeze/unfreeze request & sign.
- a. Fill in the name of the securities and their ISINs. The quantity has to be filled in if you're planning to freeze/unfreeze only a part of the holdings.
- b. Frozen for debit means the holdings cannot be sold and frozen for credit means more units of the security cannot be bought. If you only want to place a restriction on selling the holdings, select debit.
- c. You can place an immediate freeze/unfreeze request by selecting the 'current' activation type. Alternatively, you can select 'future' and fill in the freeze activation and expiry dates.
- d. The reason & additional remarks for freeze/unfreeze can be filled and will be recorded in your demat statement.
- e. Fill up your name & physically sign the form. If there are joint holders of your demat account, they will need to sign the form as well.
Some points to note :
- It takes 48-72 working hours to process the freeze/unfreeze request.
- All securities in your demat account (like stocks, mutual funds, G-secs, etc.) can be frozen unless they are already under a compulsory lock-in.
- In case of joint holders, please send us the physically signed copy to process the freeze/unfreeze requests.