View all categories

I'm moving abroad, Can I continue to use my Zerodha trading account?

You can use the account if you're moving abroad for a short-term period (6 months). The status doesn't change to NRI. Anything over a period of 6 months, you become an NRI and should change the account. 

If a person leaves India for the purpose of employment, business or for any other purpose that indicates his intention to stay outside India for an uncertain period; then he becomes a non-resident from the day he leaves India for such.

In both the cases, the onus is on the client to declare his residential status. You can either convert your existing Trading & DEMAT account to an NRO trading & DEMAT account or close your resident account and open a new NRI account.