How to open a minor account at Zerodha?
- Minors cannot buy stocks. Instead, the guardian can either transfer existing stocks in their demat account or buy stocks and transfer them into the minor’s account.
- All the forms and supporting documents of the minor should be signed by the guardian.
To open a minor account, submit the following documents:
1. Account opening form ( PDF ).
2. KYC form ( PDF ) of the minor. Mention the details of the minor, paste the minor’s photograph, sign across the photograph and sign the F2 signature box.
3. KYC form ( PDF ) of the guardian. Mention the details of the guardian, paste the guardian’s photograph, the guardian should sign across the photograph and F2 signature box.
If both minor and guardian’s KYC is registered, the KYC form, PAN and address proof copies need not be submitted. To know if KYC is verified, see, What is Know Your Customer(KYC)? How can I check my KYC status?
4. CKYC form of the minor ( PDF ).
5. CKYC form of the guardian ( PDF ). To know why a CKYC form must be submitted see I had completed my KYC when I opened my bank account, why do I have to redo the same while opening account with Zerodha?
6. PAN copy of the minor and guardian, signed by the guardian.
7. Address proof
- Any one of the following for the minor: Aadhar, passport, bank passbook or bank statement in the name of the minor, signed by the guardian.
- Any one of the following for the guardian: Aadhar, driving license, passport or voters ID, signed by the guardian.
8. Any one of the following proof of the minor: Birth certificate copy, school leaving certificate, mark sheet issued by the higher secondary board.
9. A cancelled cheque or bank statement of the bank account in the name of the minor.
10. In Person Verification (IPV) has to be completed, Both guardian and the minor should be present in the same video while performing the IPV. To know more about IPV, see What is In-Person Verification (IPV), and why is it required?
11. There are no account opening charges for a minor. However, ₹300 is to be paid upfront as Account Maintenance Charges (AMC). AMC cannot be paid in cash, therefore a cheque amounting to ₹300, in favour of Zerodha Broking Ltd needs to be submitted. If the AMC cheque is not submitted, the charges will be deducted from the guardian’s trading account. If the guardian does not have a trading account, a link will be sent to the registered email ID to pay the AMC charges.
Courier the documents to the following address:
153/154, 4th Cross, J.P Nagar 4th Phase,
Opp. Clarence Public School,
Bengaluru - 560078
Once a minor attains maturity (18 years of age), the minor account has to be converted to an individual account. See What happens when a minor account holder completes 18 years of age?