Search for an answer or browse help topics to create a ticket


Show moreless
View all categories

What documents are required to open a NRI-minor account at Zerodha?

  • Minors cannot buy stocks. Instead, the guardian can either transfer existing stocks in their demat account or buy and transfer them into the minor’s account. See, How to buy or sell stocks in minor accounts?
  • The guardian should sign all the forms and supporting documents of the minor.
  • F&O trading (equity, currency, or commodity) is not available with NRI accounts by default. F&O trading requires a Custodial Participant (CP) code with Zerodha’s partner for custodial services, Orbis Financial Services. See Can a Non-resident Indian (NRI) trade in futures and options (FnO)?

The documents required to open a minor account vary based on the KYC for the minor and the guardian. To know how to check the KYC status, see What is Know Your Customer(KYC)? How can I check my KYC status?

If the KYC is not registered, the following documents are required:

Application form

  • Demat application form (PDF).
  • KYC application form (PDF) for the minor and the guardian.
  • CKYC form (PDF) for the minor and the guardian.

Demat Debit and Pledge Instruction (DDPI) form (PDF) is a document that allows a broker to debit the securities from the client’s demat account and deliver them to the exchange. The client does not have to enter the CDSL T-PIN and OTP to sell shares once the DDPI is submitted. However, DDPI is optional. If clients do not wish to submit the DDPI, CDSL T-PIN can be used for authorisation. To learn more, see What is Demat Debit and Pledge Instruction (DDPI)?

FATCA Declaration

Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) declaration (PDF). Tax Identification Number (TIN) must be filled in the FATCA declaration. The common TINs are as follows:

  • Canada: SIN
  • UK: UTR or NINO
  • Singapore: NRIC or FIN
  • Australia: TFN

TINs for other countries can be found by visiting

P.O. Box Declaration

Declaration of P.O. box of your country of residence (PDF).

FEMA Declaration

Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) declaration form (PDF).

Supporting Documents

  • Passport-size photographs of the minor and the guardian to affix on the applications.
  • Self-attested and notarised copy of the minor and guardian’s passport:
    • In case of an Indian passport, a copy of the valid passport with the place of birth as India and a copy of the valid visa.
    • In case of a foreign passport, copies of the valid passport and the PIO or OCI card.
  • PAN:
    • PAN copy of the minor signed by the guardian and notarised.
    • PAN copy of the guardian self-attested and notarised.

  • Address proof:
    • Overseas address proof for the minor notarised and signed by the guardian. Any one of the following: Banker letter attested by the bank (PDF), Foreign passport in the name of the minor.
    • Overseas address proof for the guardian self -attested and notarised. Any one of the following: Driving licence, Foreign passport, Utility bills, Banker letter attested by the bank (PDF) , Rental agreement or lease or sale deed.
  • A cancelled cheque or bank statement of the NRE or NRO bank account in the name of the minor.
  • Additional minor documents: Birth certificate copy, school leaving certificate, and mark sheet issued by the higher secondary board.
  • Self-attested copy of the India address proof, if available, for the guardian and minor.
  • ID proof of the nominee if a nominee is being added. The proof can be any one: Aadhaar, Voter’s ID or Driving licence. Guardian cannot be added as a nominee. If Aadhaar is being submitted as proof, ensure that a masked Aadhaar is submitted, i.e., black out the first 8 digits of the Aadhaar number. Only the last four digits should be visible. To download a masked Aadhaar online, visit and tick the Do you want a masked Aadhaar? option while downloading Aadhaar.

  • Any one of the following income proof of the guardian:
    • Bank statement or passbook for the last six months.
    • The latest salary slip.
    • Form 16 or Income Tax Return (ITR) acknowledgement.
    • Net worth certificate.
    • Statement of demat holdings.

Did you know? The documents need to be notarised by the Indian embassy or any other competent authority, such as authorised officials of overseas branches of scheduled commercial banks registered in India (WEB) , public notaries, court magistrates, judges, or the Indian embassy (WEB) or consulate general in the country that they reside in the country where the NRI resides. The attesting authority should affix a verified with original stamp, name, designation, authority or employee code, signature and date on the said documents. To know if KYC is verified, see, What is Know Your Customer(KYC)? How can I check my KYC status? Or create a ticket by mentioning your PAN and date of birth.

In-person Verification (IPV)

As part of the mandatory In-Person Verification (IPV) requirement for all brokers, Webcam or a physical verification is required. The guardian and the minor should be present in the same video while performing the IPV. See What is In-Person Verification (IPV), and why is it required?

If the minor and guardian’s KYC is registered under NRI KYC status, the KYC form, PAN and address proof copies need not be submitted.

Need help? Call on 080 4680 5727 or create a ticket.

Once all the documents are ready, e-mail the soft copy of all the forms to [email protected]. The forms will be reviewed in case any corrections are required. After the forms are reviewed, courier the documents and a cheque in favour of Zerodha Broking Limited for the following amount:

  • ₹500 towards Account Maintenance Charges .

There are no account opening charges for a minor. If the AMC cheque is not submitted, the charges will be deducted from the guardian’s trading account. If the guardian does not have a trading account, a link will be sent to the registered email ID to pay the AMC charges.

Courier all the documents to the following address:

153/154, 4th Cross, J.P Nagar 4th Phase,
Opp. Clarence Public School,
Bengaluru - 560078

It can take up to 72 working hours to open the account. Once the demat account gets opened, a Client Master Report (CMR) copy is sent to the registered email. Since a trading account cannot be opened for a minor, Zerodha login credentials would not be sent. Once a minor attains maturity (18 years of age), the minor account has to be converted to an NRI-Individual account. See What happens when a NRI-minor account holder completes 18 years of age?

Did you know? NRI clients living in blacklisted countries as per the FATF list cannot open an account with Zerodha. NRI clients living in greylisted countries can open an account only after Zerodha's compliance team approval. To learn more about the FATF list, visit