What is Kill Switch?
To disable a particular segment or take a break from trading, the Kill Switch feature can be used. This is part of the nudge initiative to prevent traders from burning out due to over-trading.
To disable a segment, follow these steps:
- Visit console.zerodha.com.
- Click on Account.
- Click on Segments.
- Click on the toggle button for the particular segment and then Continue.
The segment will be deactivated within 5 minutes. Ensure that there are no open orders or positions before disabling a segment. Once a segment is disabled, it can be re-enabled only after 12 hours.
To enable a segment, follow these steps:
- Click on the toggle switch for the particular segment and then Continue.
- Select E-mail or Mobile to receive the OTP to the registered e-mail ID or mobile number and click on Continue.
- Enter the OTP received and click on Verify.
Once the segment is enabled, trading can be started instantly.
What happens to GTT, basket orders and SIP orders?
Once the GTT is triggered, if the segment is disabled, the orders are rejected. The same is applicable to basket orders and SIPs that get triggered.
Did you know? Even if the segment is disabled, the demat account is still open with Zerodha. Hence, Account Maintenance Charge (AMC) will still be charged. See What is Account Maintenance Charge (AMC) with regard to my demat account at Zerodha?