How to understand the contract note?
The contract note includes the details of the trades taken for the day, such as:
- The Order No column displays the exchange order number.
- Order time displays the timestamp of when the order was placed.
- Trade No displays the trade number on the exchange.
- Trade time displays the timestamp of when the order was successfully executed at the exchange.
- The Security/Contract description column displays the stock or instrument for which the order is for.
- Buy/Sell mentions the transaction type.
- Gross Rate/Trade Price Per unit (Rs) displays the price at which the order got executed.
- The Net Rate per unit (Rs) column will be the same as the gross rate per unit, as brokerage charges are mentioned separately in the contract notes.
- The Closing Rate per unit(only for Derivatives) (Rs) is applicable to carried over derivative contracts and displays the price at which the contract is closed for the day.
- Net total (Before Levies) displays the total amount due to the client or from the client before brokerage and taxes.
These details can be used to verify the trades at the exchange.
The last page displays:
- All the brokerages and taxes applicable, i.e., GST, STT, stamp duty, SEBI turnover fee, and exchange transaction tax. CGST and SGST of 9% each will be charged if the billing address is Karnataka, and IGST of 18% for other states.
The net amount receivable or payable will be mentioned at the end of the table.
- Other charges such as call and trade and DP charges, are not displayed on the contract note. However, they are displayed on the funds statement. To learn more, see How to view or download the funds statement? and What are call and trade charges?
- If the amount in the row Net amount receivable by Client / (payable by Client) is inside brackets, the money is due from the client, i.e., it will be deducted from the client’s trading account. This could be a purchase made or a loss incurred.
- The Order no. and the Trade no. is displayed as 111111 or 222222 to indicate that the position is exchange settled. For physical settlement (delivery based), the order no. is 333333. The Order time is displayed as 15:40:00, and the Trade time as 00:00:00.