View all categories

How to apply for rights issue?

A company can offer additional shares to its existing shareholders through a rights issue based on the number of shares they already hold. The purpose of the issue could be to fund a new project, reduce debt, or restructure its equity capital base. The shares offered in a rights issue are generally available at a discounted price compared to the market price. There are no charges to apply for a rights issue.

Eligible shareholders will receive a rights entitlement (RE) in their demat accounts prior to the opening of the rights issue. The RE is not a rights share by itself but needs to be used to apply for the rights shares. The RE will be in the form of temporary demat securities that will expire if not used for the application or sold. To learn more about REs, see What is a Right Entitlement?

To apply for a rights issue, shareholders can use the Applications Supported by Blocked Amount (ASBA) process if their bank supports it. Alternatively, the company's Registrar and Transfer Agent (RTA) will send a Composite Application Form (CAF) via courier to those who cannot apply online. The filled form can be submitted at a Self-Certified Syndicate Bank (SCSB) branch (WEB). The forms can also be downloaded from the BSE and NSE websites by visiting and

The rights issue details, such as the Rights Issue ratio and the Book closure date, will be mentioned in the application form. The application form requires the following details to be filled in:

  1. Cheque/DD details (non-ASBA).
  2. Select NSDL if the DP starts with IN. Select CDSL if the DP ID is completely numeric.
  3. PAN number. If the account is a joint account, the PAN of the second holder should also be filled in.
  4. DP details. (DP ID and the beneficiary number can be found under the profile section of the Console).
  5. Signature. (Signatures of both account holders if it is a joint account).

Once the form is filled, it can be submitted to any SCSB branch. The list of banks can be found on the application form. For a step-by-step guide on how to apply for a rights issue, visit

All the current and upcoming corporate actions can be tracked on this list (DOC).