How to open a commodity account?
To open a commodity account, follow these steps:
- Log in to console.zerodha.com.
- Click on Activate segment.
- Click on Commodity account.
- Click on Continue.
- Select the income range, trading experience and commodity trading classification¹.
- Click on Choose file and upload an income proof².
Enter the password if the file is password protected and accept the terms and conditions.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Click on Continue.
- Click on Proceed to e-sign and then on Sign now.
- Accept the terms and conditions, enter the Aadhaar number and click on Send OTP.
Enter the OTP and click on
Courier the commodity application form (PDF), and self-attested income proof² to the following address:
153/154, 4th Cross, J.P Nagar 4th Phase,
Opp. Clarence Public School,
Bengaluru - 560078
Refer to the signature guidelines (PDF) to know how to sign all the forms.
Did you know?
- The commodity account will be opened within 72 working hours, and an account opening charge of ₹100 is applicable. If the account opening fee was paid earlier and the segment was not enabled, there will be no charge for enabling the same.
- Nominee(s) can only be added to the demat account. If a nominee was not added while opening the equity account, it can be added online. To learn how, see How to add a nominee to the Zerodha account online? If a nominee was added and changes are to be made, see How to update or modify the nominee details in Zerodha?
¹Clients are required to select the classification based on the category they come under:
- Farmers/FPOs: If a client is a farmer, part of farmers’ cooperatives or belong to Farmers Producers Organisations (FPOs).
- Value chain participants (VCPs): If a client is a processor, commercial user as dal and flour miller, importer, exporter, physical market trader, stockist, Cash & Carry participant, produces, SME/MSME & Wholesaler etc., but not a farmer or an FPO.
- Others: If a client intends to trade on MCX and does not belong to any of the above classifications.
²Income proof can be any of the following:
- Bank statement in the name of the Zerodha account holder with the bank logo and seal for the last 6 months with an average balance of more than ₹10,000.
- Latest salary slip with gross monthly income exceeding ₹15,000.
- Latest ITR acknowledgement with gross annual income exceeding ₹1,20,000.
- Form 16 with gross annual income exceeding ₹1,20,000.
- Certificate of net worth more than ₹10,00,000.
Statement of demat holdings with current holdings value exceeding ₹10,000.