When are notarised documents required to open an NRI account?
The PAN card, passport, and Indian and foreign address proof have to be notarised by any one of the following authorities:
- Authorised officials of overseas branches of scheduled commercial banks registered in India.
- Public notaries.
- Court magistrate.
- Scheduled commercial bank or multinational banks registered with India. To view the list of banks, visit m.rbi.org.in/scripts/bs_viewcontent.aspx?Id=3657.
- Indian embassy or consulate general in the country of residence, visit eoi.gov.in/.
The attesting authority should affix a Verified with the original stamp, and mention the name, designation, signature, and date on the documents.
Notarised documents are not required in the following cases:
- If the NRI is present in India and is visiting any of Zerodha’s offices. However, the documents must be self-attested. Carry the original documents while visiting Zerodha, along with a copy of the latest immigration stamping.
- If the current NRI address is verified in the KYC.