How to use the Good Till Triggered (GTT) feature?
The Good Till Triggered (GTT) feature is an order that stays active until the trigger condition is met. The validity of the trigger is one year. A limit order is placed and executed if there are sufficient funds in the Zerodha account. A notification is sent to the registered email ID and mobile device every time a GTT is triggered, and an order is placed on the exchange.
Buy GTT order is used to create triggers to buy instruments. With a GTT buy order, when the trigger price is hit, a buy order with the limit price mentioned is placed on the exchange.
Sell GTT is used to exit holdings or short sell F&O contracts. A target order or both stoploss and target orders can be placed using sell GTT. The sell GTT order for holdings is executed only if the shares are in the demat account and the order is filled on the exchange.
To place a GTT order for buying below the Current Market Price (CMP), the trigger and target price must be entered below the CMP.
- In this scenario, the CMP of Reliance is ₹2322.
- GTT is placed by entering ₹2300 as the Trigger price and ₹2305 as the target price.
- When the CMP hits the trigger price, a buy limit order for ₹2305 is placed on the exchange.
Sell GTT- Single
To place a GTT order for selling above the Current Market Price (CMP), the trigger and target price must be entered above the CMP.
- In this scenario, the CMP of BSE is ₹442.80.
- GTT is placed by entering ₹465 as the Trigger price and ₹460 as the target price.
When the CMP hits the trigger price, a sell limit order for ₹460 is placed on the exchange.
Sell GTT – OCO (One Cancels Other)
- Assume the current price of Infy is ₹1822.15.
- A target order to sell is placed at ₹1910 with a trigger price of ₹1910.
- A stop loss order is placed to sell at ₹1730 with a trigger price of ₹1730.
- If either of the target or stop loss order price conditions are met, a sell CNC order is placed, cancelling the other condition.
GTT is completely free, and there are no additional charges for using it.
Did you know?
- Sell GTT orders triggered on equity holdings need to be authorised using CDSL TPIN see How do I generate the CDSL TPIN required to authorise my CNC sell transactions? This is not applicable if POA is submitted see What is Power of Attorney (POA) and Demat Debit and Pledge Instruction (DDPI)? .
- Only NRML order types can be used in GTT OCO for index futures and options.
Buy GTT OCO can only be placed in F&O contracts.