How to update or modify the nominee details in Zerodha?
- A nominee can be added online if the mobile number is linked to the Aadhaar and a nominee was not added earlier. To learn how, see How to add a nominee online?
As per the SEBI circular
the deadline for providing the choice of nomination details has been extended to 31st December 2023. If the choice of nomination is not submitted, the account will be blocked. However, this does not apply to Zerodha account holders, and their
accounts will not be blocked,
as their choice of nomination is communicated with the exchanges when the account is opened. Zerodha recommends adding a nominee(s) in case of unforeseen events. To see a video on how to add a nominee, visit
Due to the high volume of requests, processing nominee addition requests may take up to 5 days.
Only the following existing nominee(s) details can be modified online:
- Date of birth (DOB) of the nominee
- Address: If the address is being modified, the ID proof of the nominee(s) must be submitted. The ID proof can be any one of the following: Aadhaar, Voter’s ID, Driving License, etc. If Aadhaar is being submitted as proof, ensure that only the last 4 digits are visible. The masked copy of Aadhaar can be downloaded online from the MyAadhaar website. To learn how to download a masked Aadhaar, see How to download masked Aadhaar?
- Email ID
- Mobile number
To modify these details, create a ticket with both the nominee form (PDF) and the account modification form (PDF) esigned. To learn how to eSign, see How to eSign documents? The nominee cannot be changed or deleted online. Clients who do not wish to use their Aadhaar to eSign can follow the offline process.
If the nominee(s) has to be changed, deleted, or if the existing nominee details need to be modified, courier the signed nominee form (PDF), the account modification form (PDF) and the ID proof of the nominee(s). The ID proof can be any one of the following: Aadhaar, Voter’s ID, Driving License, etc. If Aadhaar is being submitted as proof, ensure that only the last 4 digits are visible. The masked copy of Aadhaar can be downloaded online from the MyAadhaar website. To learn how to download a masked Aadhaar, see How to download masked Aadhaar?
Courier the documents to:
153/154, 4th Cross, J.P Nagar 4th Phase,
Opp. Clarence Public School,
Bengaluru - 560078
Check the sample account modification and nominee forms (PDF).
The new nominee(s) details will be updated within 5 working days of receiving the forms.
Did you know?
- An account modification of ₹25+18% GST is applicable.
If the Zerodha account is deactivated due to inactivity for 12 consecutive months and the Re-KYC is not completed within 30 days, an email is sent to the nominee(s). To learn more, see
What is the inactivity alert?
Why did Zerodha send an email requesting KYC details to be updated?
- If the nominee is a minor, mention the guardian details and provide ID proof of the guardian. The account holder cannot be added as the guardian of the nominee.
- The nominee(s) would apply to the trading and demat account, including mutual fund investments made through Coin.
- Joint account holders can only add a nominee(s) offline.
- NRIs can add nominee(s) online, provided their Aadhaar is linked to their active mobile number.
- Charitable trusts cannot be added as a nominee.