How do I add a nominee online in Zerodha?
You can now add single or multiple nominees to your Zerodha demat account online.
Before you proceed, please ensure your Aadhaar is linked to a mobile number to add a nominee online.
The Aadhaar number to be used for the eSign nominee form should be of the account holder.
Here are the steps -
- Log in to Console
- Add Nominee(s)
- Enter Nominee Details. (If you are adding multiple nominees select the percentage of share accordingly. If you are adding a single nominee, enter the percentage of share as 100%)
- Proof of Identity (Valid documents: PAN / Passport / Aadhaar / Driver's Licence / Voter ID / Birth certificate (in case of minor) in PDF format and file size below 5 MB).
- Proceed to eSign
- Click on Sign now
- Accept the T&C, enter your Aadhaar number and click on ‘Send OTP.’
- Enter the OTP received on your Aadhaar linked mobile number and click on ‘Verify OTP’.
After following the steps mentioned above, you will receive a confirmation mail via your email id registered with Zerodha as shown below.
After you have completed the above process, your nominee addition will be processed within 48 working hours.
1. You can add up to 3 nominees to your account. To do so, please click on ‘Add another nominee’ as shown below and enter the nominee details.
2. If you get the error "Failed to esign" as shown below, you can upload an alternative document as proof of identity, or you can use this website to remove password protection and upload the file without a password.
3. If you get an Invalid Pincode error as shown below, follow the steps mentioned in this article.
4. Zerodha is enabling a feature that will alert the nominee through email and SMS, that you hold a demat account with us. Zerodha will send an alert to the account holder to do the ReKYC and if the ReKYC is not done within 30 days we will notify the nominee of the same.
5. You can add a minor as a nominee. If you choose to add a minor as a nominee, please mention the Guardian details. The Guardian and the account holder cannot be the same person.
6. The nomination will be applicable to your trading and demat account. Since the nominee will be added to your demat account, the same nomination will be applicable for your Coin (mutual funds) holdings as well.
7. Non-individual accounts cannot have a nominee.
8. Once the nominee(s) are successfully added to your account, online modification or addition of nominee(s) is not possible. However, you can add or modify nominee(s) offline . Nomination is free for the first time and Rs 25+GST is charged for modifications.
9. If you have a joint demat account, the nomination process has to be done offline since the joint holders have to sign the nomination form.
10. NRIs can add nominees online, provided their Aadhaar is linked to their active mobile number.
11. A charitable trust cannot be added as a nominee.