Search for an answer or browse help topics to create a ticket


Show moreless
View all categories

How to dematerialise physical shares inherited from a deceased person?

As per SEBI (WEB), if clients have not updated their KYC with their respective Registrar and Transfer Agents (RTA), their folios will be frozen from 1st April 2023 and they will not be able to dematerialise their physical shares. Clients are requested to contact their RTAs if their KYC is not updated. To learn more about RTAs, see What are Registrar and Transfer agents (RTA)?

To dematerialise physical shares inherited from a deceased person, the name in the company records must be changed. To update the name, contact the Registrar and Transfer Agency (RTA) and have the name changed as per the inheritor’s demat account. Follow the dematerialisation process described here, How do I convert physical share certificates into Demat form?

How to contact the RTA?

  • Visit NSE or BSE website.
  • Search the share's name.
  • Click on Corporate information or Company information .

If a joint holder of a share passes away, the surviving holder(s) can get the physical shares dematerialised in their demat account with Zerodha by submitting the following documents: