How to dematerialise physical shares inherited from a deceased person?
To dematerialise physical shares inherited from a deceased person, the name in the company records must be changed. To update the name, contact the Registrar and Transfer Agency (RTA) and have the name changed as per the inheritor’s demat account. Follow the dematerialisation process described here, How do I convert physical share certificates into Demat form?
How to contact the RTA?
- Visit NSE or BSE website.
- Search the share's name.
- Click on Corporate information or Company information .
If a joint holder of a share passes away, the surviving holder(s) can get the physical shares dematerialised in their demat account with Zerodha by submitting the following documents:
- Documents mentioned under How do I convert physical share certificates into Demat form?
- A notarised copy of the death certificate of the deceased holder.
- Transmission-cum-dematerialisation form ( PDF ).