How do I close my Zerodha account?
Your Zerodha account can be closed online or offline as explained below.
Did you know?
- If you want to pause trading in your account or take a break from trading, you can also temporarily deactivate your account. See What is Kill Switch?
- If your employer has asked you to close your account let us know by creating a ticket under How do I get Zerodha to empanel as a registered broker with my employer?. We will reach out to your employer with a request to empanel as a preferred broker.
- Account closure will not be processed if you have a negative balance in your account. Ensure that all dues are cleared.
- If you have holdings or positions, you have to transfer or exit them.
- You can opt for the closure-cum-transfer by submitting a signed hard copy of the account closure form ( PDF ) along with a sealed and signed physical copy of your CMR (Client Master Report) or digital CMR copy, e-signed by an official of the DP of the destination demat account. See What is a CMR copy and where can I get it? . This is mandated by depositories and is applicable for all brokers. Refer to point numbers 10.6.1.1 and 10.6.2.1 in this CDSL operating instructions for depository participants ( PDF ).
- Locked-in shares, mutual funds and Government securities can only be moved to a CDSL demat account.
- You can transfer shares within the same account holder(s) only. For example, person A having an individual demat account can transfer shares to person A. If persons A and B have a joint account with A as primary holder and B as secondary holder, they can transfer shares to another joint account held by A and B only and not to a joint account held in the order B and A.
- You can transfer shares only within the same Beneficiary Owner (BO) status. For example, you can transfer shares only from an individual account to an individual account. You cannot transfer shares from an individual account to a Joint, NRI, or HUF and vice versa.
- A joint demat account can only be closed through an offline method. Primary, secondary and tertiary holders (if applicable) will have to sign the closure letter.
Once your account is permanently closed, you will not be able to log in to your account and access any of your data. This is irreversible. Visit console.zerodha.com and download the necessary reports such as ledger, contract notes, P&L statements etc. And if you would like to trade with Zerodha again, you will have to open a new account. See How do I open an account online?
Closing your account online
- Visit console.zerodha.com/account/segment-activation
- Click on Close account.
Select the reason for account closure and Click Continue.
- eSign and click on Sign now.
- Once you Accept the T&C, enter your Aadhaar number and click Send OTP.
- Enter the OTP received on your Aadhaar linked mobile number and click Verify OTP.
Your account will then be closed within 72 working hours.
- In case of rejection of an account closure request, you will receive an email with the reason for the rejection and next steps.
Closing your account offline
- Print and fill the account closure form ( PDF ).
Send it to the following address (via post, registered post, speed post or courier):
153/154, 4th Cross, J.P Nagar 4th Phase,
Opp. Clarence Public School,
Bengaluru - 560078
Your account closure will be processed within 5-7 working days.