View all categories

How to freeze or unfreeze the stocks in the demat account?

To freeze or unfreeze the stocks in the demat account, follow these steps:

  1. Print the Freeze/Unfreeze Request Form (PDF).
  2. Enter the details. See the instructions to fill out the form.
  3. Scan the Freeze/Unfreeze Request Form.
  4. eSign the form and submit it by creating a ticket. To learn how to eSign, see How to eSign documents?

Instructions to fill out the freeze/unfreeze request form

  • Date: The date of sending the instruction.
  • Freeze or Unfreeze: Tick Freeze if the stocks need to be frozen. If the stocks need to be unfrozen, tick Unfreeze.
  • BO Account or BO ISIN: Tick BO Account if the demat account is to be frozen. Tick on BO ISIN if specific stocks need to be frozen or unfrozen.
  • Enter the DP ID and client ID. To learn how to get the DP ID, see What are DP name, DP ID, BO ID and demat ID?
  • Enter the name of the account holders.

  • Enter the ISIN, the stock's name and the quantity that must be frozen or unfrozen.
  • Frozen For: Tick Debt if the stocks are to be frozen and cannot be sold. Tick Credit if the stocks are to be frozen and more units cannot be bought. Tick Both if the stock's debit and credit are to be frozen.
  • Activation Type: Tick Current if the stocks must be frozen or unfrozen immediately. Tick Future if the stocks must be frozen or unfrozen later. If it is for a future date, enter the freeze activation date.
  • Reason For Freeze and Freeze Remarks: The reason and additional remarks for the freeze or unfreeze can be filled in and will be recorded in the demat statement.
  • Name & Signature of the Account Holder(s): Enter the name and signatures of all the account holders.

Did you know?

  • The freeze or unfreeze request will be processed within 72 working hours.
  • There are no charges to freeze or unfreeze instruments.
  • All the securities in the demat account (stocks, mutual funds, G-secs, etc.) can be frozen unless they are already under a compulsory lock-in. If securities are frozen, they cannot be transferred to another demat account.
  • If the account is jointly held, courier the physically signed form to:
    153/154, 4th Cross, J.P Nagar 4th Phase,
    Opp. Clarence Public School,
    Bengaluru - 560078

To unfreeze instruments in a demat account that have been frozen by SEBI, the Income Tax Department (ITD), or the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), clients must send an email to [email protected] .