How to set up Time-based OTP (TOTP) to log in to Kite?
TOTP stands for “time-based one-time password”. Unlike a traditional OTP that is delivered to you via email or SMS, a TOTP is generated by a TOTP app that is already on your phone. This TOTP is valid only for a short duration (usually 30 seconds) and is regenerated every 30 seconds. The following apps can be downloaded on PC or mobile phones to generate the TOTP:
- Google® Authenticator available on Google Play and App Store.
- Microsoft® Authenticator available on Google Play and App Store.
- Authy available on Google Play and App Store.
- LastPass Authenticator on Google Play and App Store.
For Kite web, visit kite.zerodha.com, and follow the steps below:
- Go to My Profile/Settings and then Password & Security
- Click on Enable 2-Step TOTP.
- Enter OTP sent to registered email address.
- Open any one of the Authenticator apps above on a mobile phone.
- Select Scan a barcode under the Add an account option and click on Begin .
- Allow access to the phone camera, and scan the bar code shown on the profile page on Kite. On scanning, the account will be added on the authenticator app. Alternatively, copy the key (available below the QR code) and use it to add the Kite account to the authenticator app. Enter the OTP shown on the app on Kite along with password and click on Enable .
- TOTP is enabled.
To log in to Kite, enter the time-based OTP shown on the Authenticator app.
Follow the video tutorial to set up the TOTP .
For Kite app, follow the steps below:
Go to Profile,
Enable 2Factor TOTP.
- Enter the OTP sent to the account holder’s registered email and click on Verify.
Can’t Scan? Copy the Key.
Go to the authenticator app and click on +, then
Enter the setup key.
Add the account name and paste the key. Ensure the type of key is set as Time based. Then click on
The GIF below is from
Google® Authenticator. The account holder can use any of the authenticator apps mentioned above.
On the Kite
app, copy the TOTP displayed and paste it on the 6 digit TOTP tab and enter the Kite login password and click on
The account holder will get a confirmation pop up mentioning that the TOTP is enabled. After this, re-login to all Kite sessions across all devices.
In case of an Invalid TOTP error, see What to do in case of an Invalid TOTP error?