What is the procedure for transposition and dematerialisation of jointly held shares?
To dematerialise jointly held physical shares, the names on both the joint demat account and share certificate must be in the same sequence. If the sequence is different, a transposition form must be submitted to change the order of names on the share certificate.
- Mr Arun and Mrs Banu are joint shareholders of SBI physical shares with a joint demat account.
- Names on the share certificate are Mr Arun and Mrs Banu, where Mr Arun is the first shareholder, and Mrs Banu is the second.
- The names in the jointly held demat account are Mrs Banu and Mr Arun, where Mrs Banu is the first holder and Mr Arun is the second holder.
- To dematerialise SBI shares, the transposition form must be submitted. The form must be signed in the order of the names of the demat account first by Mrs Banu, the first holder, Mr Arun the second.
The documents required to transpose and dematerialise the physical share certificates are mentioned below:
- 1 Transposition form ( PDF ) for each share certificate.
- 2 copies of the Dematerialisation Request Form (DRF) ( PDF ) for each share certificate per company. See How to fill the De-materialization request form?
- 2 DRF’s are sufficient for up to 4 share certificates of the same company. For more than 4 certificates, an extra DRF has to be submitted.
- The original share certificates should be submitted along with the DRF’s. Before sending them, keep a copy of the physical share certificates for personal reference.
- Self-attested copy of PAN.
How to sign the forms?
- Transposition form must be signed in the same order as the names on the joint demat account.
must be signed in the order of the names on the share certificates. Signatures are required in the fields mentioned below:
* Signature with DP (Zerodha's record).
* Signature with RTA .
Send the documents to the following address (via post, registered post, speed post or courier):
153/154, 4th Cross, J.P Nagar 4th Phase,
Opp. Clarence Public School,
Bengaluru - 560078
The RTA (Registrar And Share Transfer Agent) takes up to 30 days to complete the dematerialisation process. See What are Registrar and Transfer agents (RTA)?