How to gift securities?
Stocks, ETFs, and gold bonds can be gifted online to anyone with a Zerodha account. If the recipient does not have a Zerodha account, they can create a new account and receive the gift. To open a new account online, see
How to open a Zerodha account online?
To learn how to gift securities, follow these steps:
- Log in to kite.zerodha.com.
- Click on Holdings.
- Hover over the security to be gifted and click on Options.
- Click on Send as a gift.
- Enter the gift receiver's name, mobile number, email address (optional), and gift message (optional).
- Click on Continue.
- Select the securities that are to be gifted. Only the securities that are approved for gifting (DOC) are displayed.
- Enter the quantity.
Confirm & send.
Zerodha sends an email and SMS notification to the recipient requesting they accept the gift within 7 days. To learn how to accept the gift, see
How to accept gifted stocks?
The stocks are not transferred out of the demat account at this point.
Once the recipient accepts the gift, an email and SMS notification are sent to the sender requesting to confirm the recipient’s identity and the transfer of stocks using the CDSL TPIN. See,
How to generate the CDSL TPIN required to authorise the CNC sell transactions?
The receiver of the gift must be added as a beneficiary in a sender's demat account. If they're already added as a beneficiary, this step can be skipped. However, if they're not added as a beneficiary, CDSL will send an email between 3 PM and 5 PM on trading days to the sender to verify the beneficiary details for off-market transactions. To verify the beneficiary details, follow these steps:
1. Visit cdslindia.com/Authentication/OTP.
2. Enter the sender's PAN and Demat Account No. The demat account number is the 16-digit ID. To learn how to find the demat ID, see What are DP name, DP ID, BO ID and demat ID?
3. Click on Submit.
4. Tick on the beneficiary details and click on Generate OTP.
5. Enter the OTP and click on Accept.
6. Click on OK.
Zerodha then sets up an off-market gift transfer through CDSL, which needs to be verified by an OTP.
An email and SMS are sent from CDSL to confirm the off-market gift transaction at 5 PM on the same day if it is a trading day or the next trading day. Enter the PAN or the 16-digit demat account ID and complete the SMS OTP verification by 8 PM on the same day.
If the OTP verification is not completed by 8 PM on the same day, the gifting process has to be reinitiated.
The securities are moved to the recipient’s demat account and will be visible in their holdings the next day.
What are the fees for gifting?
The standard off-market transfer fee of ₹25 or 0.03% per stock, + 18% GST whichever is higher, is applicable. There are no additional charges for gifting securities. This is automatically debited from the sender’s trading account. See What are the charges for gifting stocks?
What are the tax implications of gifting?
The tax implications depend on the value of the stocks gifted. The recipient may have tax implications if the value of the gift exceeds ₹50,000. To learn more about tax implications, see Are there any income tax implications on gifting of shares?
Did you know?
- Gifting stocks from the account and selling them simultaneously may result in an exchange auction penalty.
- The gifting request won't be processed if Zerodha's account balance is negative or zero. If there are no funds in the Zerodha account and if funds are added today, the funds statement balance will be updated on the following day. As a result, the gifting request will only be processed on the next day.
- For tracking and reporting purposes, the stock's closing price on the day the stock gets transferred is the exit price for the person gifting the stock, and the same price is used as an entry price for the person receiving the gift. The average price is updated within 3 working days after the stocks are transferred. While filing for income tax, a different view can be taken on the acquisition price.
- Unsettled shares cannot be gifted. See What does settlement cycle mean?
- Shares cannot be gifted if the Zerodha account is dormant. Clients must complete the Re-KYC process to gift shares. To learn how to do the Re-KYC, see How to reactivate the Zerodha account?