Search for an answer or browse help topics to create a ticket
View all categories

How do I convert my NRI account to a resident account?

  • It is recommended to close your NRI account and open an individual resident account online . See How do I close my Zerodha account? and How do I open an account online?
  • If you have an NRE and an NRO account, only one account can be converted to a resident account. A brokerage firm cannot open multiple resident trading accounts with the same PAN, hence Zerodha will do a closure cum transfer for the non-convertible account.

To convert NRE/NRO account to a resident trading and demat account, the following documents are required:

Document Description
Account modification form (PDF) One copy to update the bank and address details of the demat account
Account closure form (PDF) One copy for closing the NRI trading account. Two copies if both NRE and NRO accounts are held.
Account opening form (PDF) One copy for opening a resident trading and demat account
Photograph Paste a photo on the KYC form that is part of the account modification form and sign across it.
PAN card One self-attested copy
Address proof One self-attested copy of any one of the following: Driving licence, voter ID, passport, Aadhaar card or bank statement.
Bank proof Personalised cancelled cheque which has your name printed on it or bank statement or bank passbook copy which clearly shows the bank account number, MICR and IFSC code
Income proof (Optional) One self-attested copy of any one of the following: Latest salary slip, ITR, Form 16, 6-month bank Statement, etc. Required only if you wish to trade in F&O, CDS, and MCX segments.
Power of Attorney (PDF) (Optional) The POA allows brokers to debit shares from the demat account. See, What is Power of Attorney (POA), and why is it needed? Alternatively, shares can be sold without the POA using the CDSL TPIN. See How do I generate the CDSL TPIN required to authorise my CNC sell transactions?
Annexure B (PDF) To update the name in the demat account as per the latest documents.

The self-declaration (PDF) needs to be submitted if there is a minor mismatch in the name between the supporting documents.

Send the forms to the following address (via post, registered post, speed post or courier):

153/154, 4th Cross, J.P Nagar 4th Phase,
Opp. Clarence Public School,
Bengaluru - 560078


As part of the mandatory In-Person Verification (IPV) requirement for all brokers, a webcam or physical verification is required for conversion accounts. See What is In-Person Verification (IPV), and why is it required?