What is the process for an inter-depository SGB, G-sec and SDL transfer?
An inter-depository or value-free Sovereign Gold Bonds (SGB) transfer involves transferring dematerialised SGBs from one depository to another (NSDL to CDSL or vice-versa).
SGBs are maintained in demat form with the RBI-permitted Constituent Subsidiary General Ledger (CSGL) account of Depository Participants (DP). RBI has a separate ledger-based mechanism for recording ownership of SGBs, so they cannot be transferred like stocks. They can only be transferred through a value-free transfer. An investor has to submit a rematerialisation request for the debit of SGBs to the transferor DP and submit a dematerialisation request to credit SGBs to the transferee DP.
The rematerialisation request to the transferor Depository Participant (DP) and demat request to the transferee DP has to be submitted simultaneously.
The process to transfer from an NSDL DP to a CDSL DP (Zerodha demat account) is explained below:
The following documents must be submitted to the NSDL DP to rematerialise:
- Rematerialisation form filled with details of the number of units of SGBs and the relevant series. Contact the NSDL DP for the form and details of SGB.
- Self-attested copy of ID proof and address proof.
Provide the CSGL account number and CSGL counterparty name mentioned below to the NSDL DP and instruct them to transfer the securities to the Constituents Subsidiary General Ledger (CSGL) of CDSL:
CSGL account number – SG020199.
CSGL Counterparty name - CDSL.
The following documents must be submitted to the CDSL DP (Zerodha demat account) to dematerialise:
2 dematerialisation request forms
for each SGB series or ISIN. Sign on both the DP and Signature with
- 1 Value Free Transfer Letter (PDF) for each SGB series or ISIN.
- Physical statement of holding from NSDL DP duly stamped and signed by the authorised signatory of the DP.
- Self-attested ID proof.
NSDL DP CMR with seal and signature of the DP official.
Courier all the documents to the following address:
153/154, 4th Cross, J.P Nagar 4th Phase,
Opp. Clarence Public School,
Bengaluru - 560078
The process to transfer from a CDSL DP (Zerodha demat account) to an NSDL DP is explained below:
To rematerialise, the following documents must be submitted to the CDSL DP:
- The rematerialisation request form (PDF) for each SGB series or ISIN.
- The rematerialisation form has to be filled with details of the number of units of SGB and the relevant series or ISIN¹.
- Self-attested PAN.
- Value-free transfer letter (PDF) for each SGB series and ISIN.
- NSDL demat accounts CMR with DP seal and signature.
To dematerialise, provide the following documents to NSDL DP:
- Dematerialisation request form. Contact the NSDL DP for the form.
- Value-free transfer letter. Contact the NSDL DP for the letter.
- Statement of holding (SOH) of the account from CDSL DP (Zerodha) duly stamped and signed by the authorised signatory of the DP. Create a ticket to get a copy of the Statement Of Holdings (SOH).
Did you know? The inter-depository transfer process takes up to 3 weeks. Charges of ₹150 + 18% GST per certificate + ₹100 courier charges are applicable for rematerialisation requests. The charges can be viewed on the tariff sheet (PDF).
¹ To view the number of units or the ISIN of the SGB:
- Visit console.zerodha.com/portfolio/holdings.
- Click on the context menu.
- Click on View breakdown.