Why am I unable to sell my Yes bank holdings?
Update March 19, 2020: Yes Bank bought on 12th will be showing up on Kite and Console. 75% of stocks bought on 12th are blocked. The stocks bought on Friday, 13th March 2020 still bear the old ISIN. If you have bought Yes Bank stocks on the 13th, they won’t be shown on Kite. Once the depository updates the ISIN for these shares, they will start showing up on Kite.
Update March 17, 2020: Yes Bank stocks bought on Thursday, 12th March 2020 and Friday, 13th March 2020 haven’t been delivered by the clearing corporations yet. If you have bought Yes Bank stocks on these dates, they won’t be shown either on Kite or Console. We will update as soon as they are delivered.
You will also not be able to see Yes Bank shares bought on Monday, 16th March 2020(yesterday) in your T1 holding (no BTST trades). You will be able to see and sell them only after the stock is delivered to your account after 2 days.
Update March 15, 2020: There was a notification from the Ministry of Finance in the matter of Yes Bank Limited on Friday evening, March 13th, 2020. As per this, 75% of all shares that you hold will be locked for 3 years and can’t be sold. This won’t be applicable for investors holding less than a hundred (100) shares.
To give effect to the above notification the depositories are executing a corporate action and changing the ISIN of Yes Bank from INE528G01027 (old) to INE528G01035 (new).
Click here to read the circular from CDSL (Depository) and the Ministry of Finance.
So what does this mean?
- If you hold more than 100 shares of Yes Bank, you are locked in for 3 years. You will not be able to sell it. Kite will start showing only 25% of shares you held on 13th March, the shares you can sell. The total quantity including the locked shares will be shown on Console.
- If you hold less than 100 shares, you will be able to freely sell all the shares that you’re holding. What this means is that if you held 100 shares, 75 shares are locked for 3 years, but if you held 99 shares no shares are locked.
- From Monday 16th March 2020, whatever new shares you buy, you will be able to freely sell them. This 75% restriction is only on shares you held on the evening Friday, 13th March 2020 and not on new shares that you buy from now.
- What happens to those who bought Yes Bank shares on Thu,12th, and Fri,13th? - You will not be able to sell them until you get the delivery of the shares (no BTST allowed). Hence shares bought on these days won’t show up on Kite, it will show up on Console though.
- What happens to all F&O positions on Yes Bank? - The same Friday night positions will continue to be held as of now.