How to add a nominee to the Zerodha account online?
Nominee(s) can be added to the Zerodha account online if the mobile number is linked to Aadhaar. To add a nominee to the Zerodha account online, follow these steps:
- Log in to console.zerodha.com/dashboard.
- Click on Account.
- Click on Nominees.
- Click on Add nominee (Up to 3 nominees can be added).
- Enter the nominee details and upload nominee ID proof. If multiple nominees are being added, select the percentage of share accordingly. If a single nominee is added, enter the percentage of share as 100%. If the account holder, nominee or guardian has a middle name, enter it along with the first name.
- Click on Continue.
- Click on Proceed to e-sign.
- Click on Sign now.
- Accept the terms and conditions, enter the Aadhaar number of the account holder and click on Send OTP.
- Enter the OTP and click on Verify OTP.
An email notification is sent to the client once the process is completed, and the nominee will be added to the account within 72 working hours. If the mobile number is not linked to Aadhaar, follow the offline process to add a nominee. To learn more, see How to add a nominee(s) to the Zerodha account offline?
If Failed to e-sign error is displayed, upload an alternative ID proof or remove the password protection and upload a file without a password. To learn how to remove password protection from PDFs, see How to remove password protection from a PDF document?
If Invalid Pincode error is displayed while completing the online process, see Why is the Invalid Pincode error displayed while adding a nominee online?
If Invalid file path error is displayed, rename the file to Aadhaar and upload. Please ensure there are no special characters in the file name.
Did you know?
- If Aadhaar is being submitted as proof, ensure that a masked Aadhaar is submitted, i.e., black out the first 8 digits of the Aadhaar number. Only the last four digits should be visible. To download a masked Aadhaar online, visit myaadhaar.uidai.gov.in/ and tick the Do you want a masked Aadhaar? option while downloading Aadhaar. To learn more, see How to download masked Aadhaar?
- An email notification is sent to the nominee if the account holder has not completed the Re-KYC within 30 days. To learn more, see What is the inactivity alert? and Why did Zerodha send an email requesting KYC details to be updated?
- Non-individual accounts cannot have a nominee.
- If the nominee is a minor, mention the guardian details and provide ID proof of the guardian. The account holder cannot be added as the guardian of the nominee.
- The nominee(s) would apply to the trading and demat account, including mutual fund investments made through Coin.
- Joint account holders can only add a nominee(s) offline.
- NRIs can add nominee(s) online, provided their Aadhaar is linked to their active mobile number.
- Charitable trusts cannot be added as a nominee.
- To update or modify nominee details after it is added, see How to update or modify the nominee details in Zerodha?