How to add a nominee to the Zerodha account online?
- As per the SEBI circular (WEB), the deadline for providing the choice of nomination details has been extended to 30th June 2024. If the choice of nomination is not submitted, the account will be blocked. However, this does not apply to Zerodha account holders, and their accounts will not be blocked, as their choice of nomination is communicated with the exchanges when the account is opened. Zerodha recommends adding a nominee(s) in case of unforeseen events.
For a video walkthrough on adding a nominee, see
How to add nominee to your Zerodha account?
- Due to the high volume of requests, processing nominee addition requests may take up to 5 working days.
Nominee(s) can be added to the Zerodha account online if the mobile number is linked to Aadhaar. To add a nominee to the Zerodha account online, follow these steps:
- Log in to console.zerodha.com.
- Click on Account.
- Click on Nominees.
- Click on Add nominee. Up to 3 nominees can be added.
- Enter the nominee details. If multiple nominees are being added, select the percentage of share accordingly. If a single nominee is added, enter the percentage of share as 100%. If the account holder, nominee or guardian has a middle name, enter it along with the first name.
- Click on Continue.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions and click on Proceed.
- Click on Sign now.
- Accept the terms and conditions, enter the Aadhaar number of the account holder and click on Send OTP.
- Enter the OTP and click on Verify OTP.
An email notification is sent to the client once the process is completed, and the nominee will be added to the account within 5 working days. If the mobile number is not linked to Aadhaar, follow the offline process to add a nominee. To learn more, see How to add a nominee to the Zerodha account offline?
error is displayed while completing the online process, see
Why is the Invalid Pincode error displayed while adding a nominee online?
Did you know?
- The nominees' names must match their documents to facilitate easier claims in adverse situations.
- If the Zerodha account is deactivated due to inactivity for 12 consecutive months and the Re-KYC is not completed within 30 days, an email is sent to the nominee(s). To learn more, see What is the inactivity alert? and Why did Zerodha send an email requesting KYC details to be updated?
Non-individual accounts cannot have a nominee.
- If the nominee is a minor, mention the guardian's details. The account holder cannot be added as the guardian of the nominee.
- For minor accounts, the guardian cannot be added as the nominee.
- The nominee(s) would apply to the trading and demat account, including mutual fund investments made through Coin.
- Dormant account holders must reactivate the account to add a nominee. To learn how to reactivate the Zerodha account, see How to reactivate the Zerodha account?
Joint account holders can only add a nominee(s) offline.
- NRIs can add nominee(s) online, provided their Aadhaar is linked to their active mobile number.
Charitable trusts cannot be added as a nominee.