Why did Zerodha send an email requesting KYC details to be updated?
When there has been no trading activity for 12 consecutive months, exchanges consider the account dormant and deactivate it. The account can be reactivated by verifying the KYC details.
To reactivate the account, follow these steps:
- Log in to signup.zerodha.com/rekyc.
- Click on Continue with Kite.
- If the details are correct, click on Proceed with same details. If the address needs to be updated, click on Update details as per AADHAAR and then on Link your Digilocker with Zerodha. To learn how to update the address, see How can the address registered with Zerodha be changed online?
- Upload income proof to trade in F&O (optional)¹.
- Update the FATCA² declaration and click on Continue.
- Complete the IPV³. See What is In-Person Verification (IPV), and why is it required?
The account will be reactivated within 72 working hours of completing the above steps.
The address can be changed online only if a mobile number is linked to the Aadhaar. If not, follow the offline process. See, What is the procedure to change the registered address on my account offline?
Dormant account holders will continue to receive cash and stock dividends. However, to participate in buybacks, OFS, rights issues, etc., the account must be reactivated by verifying the KYC details first.
Did you know? Even if primary market or corporate action orders are placed, the account can still be marked dormant.
¹Income proof can be any of the following:
- Bank statement for the last six months with an average balance of more than ₹10,000.
- The latest salary slip with gross monthly income exceeding ₹15,000.
- ITR acknowledgement with gross annual income exceeding ₹1,20,000.
- Form 16 with gross annual income exceeding ₹1,20,000.
- Certificate of net worth more than ₹10,00,000.
- Statement of demat holdings with current holdings value exceeding ₹10,000.
²On the FATCA declaration, fields like the city of birth, mother's name, father's name, and marital status can be filled out as
³For NRI and Non-individuals, the authorised signatory has to complete the IPV.