How to add a nominee(s) to the Zerodha account offline?
- A nominee can be added online if the mobile number is linked to the Aadhaar and a nominee was not added earlier. To learn how to add a nominee online, see How to add a nominee online?
- As per the SEBI circular (WEB), the deadline for providing the choice of nomination details has been extended to 31st December 2023. If the choice of nomination is not submitted, the account will be blocked. However, this does not apply to Zerodha account holders, and their accounts will not be blocked, as their choice of nomination is communicated with the exchanges when the account is opened. Zerodha recommends adding a nominee(s) in case of unforeseen events. For a video walkthrough on adding a nominee, see How to add nominee to your Zerodha account?
- Due to the high volume of requests, processing nominee addition requests may take up to 5 working days.
To add a nominee(s) to the Zerodha account, the following documents are required:
- Nomination form (PDF).
- ID proof of the nominee. The ID proof can be any one of the following: Aadhaar, Voter’s ID, Driving licence, etc. If an Aadhaar is being submitted as proof, ensure that a masked Aadhaar is submitted, To learn how to get the masked Aadhaar, see How to download masked Aadhaar?
If an additional nominee needs to be added to the account, the account modification form
and the nominee form
must be sent. In the account modification form, the existing nominee should be mentioned under the
section, and both the existing nominee and the new nominee to be added should be mentioned under the
section. If changes need to be made to the existing nominee, see
How to update or modify the nominee details in Zerodha?
Courier the documents to:
153/154, 4th Cross, J.P Nagar 4th Phase,
Opp. Clarence Public School,
Bengaluru - 560078
The new nominee details will be updated within 5 working days of receiving the forms.
Did you know?
An email notification is sent to the nominee, if the account holder has not completed the Re-KYC within 30 days. To learn more, see
What is the inactivity alert?
Why did Zerodha send an email requesting KYC details to be updated?
An email is also sent to the nominee if the Zerodha account has been inactive for 12 consecutive months.
- Non-individual accounts cannot have a nominee.
- If the nominee is a minor, mention the guardian details and provide ID proof of the guardian. The account holder cannot be added as the guardian of the nominee.
For minor accounts, the guardian cannot be added as the nominee.
- The nominee would apply to the trading and demat account, including mutual fund investments made through Coin.
- Charitable trusts cannot be added as a nominee.
- Joint account holders can only add a nominee(s) offline.
NRIs can add nominee(s) online, provided their Aadhaar is linked to their active mobile number.